We are excited to announce that we’re switching our medical, prescription drug and dental coverage for U.S. expat employees and their covered family members to GeoBlue starting January 1, 2021.
We know that being away from home is not easy and getting medical and dental care while you are living abroad can be a challenge. That’s why we’ve partnered with GeoBlue – to make it easier for you to find the care you need during your international assignment without creating extra work for you. GeoBlue is provided in partnership with the Blue Cross Blue Shield Global Expat™ program and replaces your current options from BCBSIL, Express Scripts and Delta Dental of Illinois.
When you elect medical benefits, you’ll automatically receive dental benefits at the same coverage tier. For example, if you elect employee + spouse for medical, you will be automatically enrolled in employee + spouse for dental.
For information on prescription drug networks, see Is your provider in the network.
Your go-to resource: GeoBlue Member Hub and mobile app
Register at geo-blue.com or download the GeoBlue app. You’ll be able to:
- Download your ID cards. IMPORTANT: You’ll want to go online for your ID cards as it may take time for your mailed ID cards to reach you.
- Submit and track your claims.
- Find providers through the global provider directory.
- Access global health and safety tools including medical translations, drug equivalents, and news and safety information.
GeoBlue medical coverage
With GeoBlue medical coverage, you’ll have more international providers to choose from and no claims to file if you use in-network providers. The medical provider network is through Bupa, which gives you access to more than 1.7 million providers worldwide including over 95% of physicians and hospitals internationally at negotiated discounts. This means that both you and the Company will save on your health care expenses.Easier claims:
- When you use in-network medical providers, they will be paid directly for services – you don’t have to file claims for reimbursement.
- If you use a medical provider outside of the Bupa network, you may have to pay out of pocket for treatment and submit a claim for reimbursement. And your claim will be subject to a separate out-of-network deductible and out-of-pocket maximum.
Two plan options: You can choose between a traditional PPO plan or a Consumer Directed Health Plan (CDHP) + HSA; both customized to closely resemble our current U.S. medical plan options through BCBSIL.
Broad network of providers while in the U.S.: Because GeoBlue is a partner with Blue Cross Blue Shield, you’ll still have access to the broad national PPO network of providers while you are in the U.S. during your assignment, and the plans allow for coordination of care no matter where you are. GeoBlue will also apply your deductibles and out-of-pocket limits with BCBSIL whenever your international assignment ends and you return to the U.S.
Additional features of your GeoBlue coverage
- Access to the member hub and mobile app, including the global provider search tool
- Dedicated account team to help with any questions or claims issues
- 24/7/365 customer service support
- Language assistance/translator services
- Information about prescription drug equivalents
- Access to global health and safety tools
- Informed Choice consultation for second opinions. Find information on the Informed Choice section of the Member Hub at geo-blue.com or in the GeoBlue app
- Global TeleMED™ network of doctors providing 24/7 non-emergency medical consultations through virtual appointments. To get information and register, go to the Global TeleMD app
GeoBlue dental coverage
As part of your GeoBlue coverage, when you elect medical benefits, you’ll automatically receive dental benefits at the same coverage tier. Your dental plan has been customized to match our current U.S. buy-up dental plan as closely as possible.
While you are outside the U.S.: You are free to see any dental provider you choose because there is no specific international dental network. Most often, you will pay the provider when you receive services and request reimbursement. Or you can call GeoBlue before your dental appointment to request a guarantee of payment. In this case, GeoBlue may be able to make arrangements with your dentist to pay them directly.
If you are receiving dental services while you are inside the U.S.: You will have access to the United Concordia dental network with direct billing to GeoBlue.
With your GeoBlue coverage, you’ll get two ID cards:
- The blue card is for care outside the U.S., and
- The white card is for care inside the U.S.
While you’ll be receiving them in the mail to your address on file with BenefitsLink (which will then be forwarded to your international address), you can access your cards through the GeoBlue app or at geo-blue.com starting in January.